Thursday, October 27, 2011

What do you buy a guy for his birthday?

Of course the minute I announced that I really wanted a motorbike, but not just that, a Harley Davidson touring / cruiser motorbike, I created a new and untapped market in presents that people could buy me for my birthday!

My sister (who lives in the US) bought me some ‘anti-monkey butt’ powder and a matching T-shirt. It is a miracle powder that athletes and biker rub, well, err,,,, one their butts and other sweaty part to stop rashes from long hours in the saddle. No doubt it will come in very handy for my planned South West US biking trip in autumn 2012 with my ‘bestest buddy in the whole world’!

MY kids both chipped in and raided the local Harley Davidson store in Cheltenham and bought me Harley Davidson T-shirts and a sweatshirt. In the usual large and garish HD logos and imaginative (and usually physically impossible) accompanying human artwork and straplines!

Now all of this clothing will definitely NOT be worn to the office on dress down day (or any other day come to that). But it will come in handy for wearing on hot days while biking and under my armoured leather biking jacket (yet to be bought) as a sweat layer. And I really don’t mind wearing it in a biking environment, although it would look more appropriate on a grizzled 35-ish something year old unshaven ‘biker to the bone’ type than my own somewhat older and more genteel ‘gentleman motorcyclist’ persona – but hey, I have never been particularly concerned with what others think – I like it and I think it’s funny!

I also got a rather nice large porcelain mug decorated with bikes that exactly matches the mug I got last year decorated with warplanes.

I am still working up to actually buying a Harley and will go out on the serious trial ride / negotiate a deal process from the end of November onwards (once my toe has fully healed). So I feel a bit of a fraud at the moment with all this motorbike gear and paraphernalia but no bike in the driveway.

So you could say, instead of:

‘Been there got the T-shirt’

It really should be:

‘Got the T-shirts, better get the bike now!’

Retail therapy and mid-life crisis – gotta love em!